drill-user mailing list archives

From John Omernik <j...@omernik.com>
Subject Re: Error Messages that are difficult to parse.
Date Mon, 25 Sep 2017 18:40:52 GMT
So I think I addressed the first one with

select CASE when tbl.field.subfield[0] is null then '' else
tbl.field.subfield[0] end as myfield from table as tbl

That seems to work on small queries

but when I try to group by myfield I get

Error Returned - Code: 500
Error Text:
SYSTEM ERROR: NumberFormatException:

Which I am confused by because '' or the field isn't a number.. so not
sure how to troubleshoot this one either..

John

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 1:14 PM, John Omernik <john@omernik.com> wrote:

> So as a user, I got this
>

> Error Returned - Code: 500
> Error Text:
> SYSTEM ERROR: IllegalArgumentException: You tried to read a [RepeatedInt] type when you
are using a field reader of type [NullableIntReaderImpl].

> It's a JSON dataset, the record exists in some row, and not in others, but I have no
idea how to interpret this or how to handle it.  I feel like we should try to curate error
messages like this to help improve them for the end user.