drill-user mailing list archives

From Timothy Farkas <tfar...@mapr.com>
Subject Re: Drill on Windows
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2018 18:21:26 GMT
Rahul / Chris,

The easiest way to do this would be to create a docker container for Drill. Also it looks
like Docker leverage's Windows 10's linux subsystem so docker images don't run in a VM https://www.hanselman.com/blog/DockerAndLinuxContainersOnWindowsWithOrWithoutHyperVVirtualMachines.aspx.
So you get support for running on Windows 10 for free with no performance penalty. Plus everyone
expects software to be package in docker images these days anyway.

Currently, there is no official drill docker image. If you're interested, let me know, and
I can create a Jira and make one. I'm pretty bored right now and need something to do anyway
:).

Thanks,
Tim

________________________________
From: Chris Cunningham <cunningham.cb@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 4:41:13 PM
To: user@drill.apache.org
Subject: Re: Drill on Windows

Supposedly with Windows 10, there is a full Linux subsystem that you can
use.  Note: I haven't done this myself, so I'm not sure what would be
needed (or exactly how it would work).  But it looks like a reasonable
option to pursue.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.howtogeek.com_249966_how-2Dto-2Dinstall-2Dand-2Duse-2Dthe-2Dlinux-2Dbash-2Dshell-2Don-2Dwindows-2D10_&d=DwIBaQ&c=cskdkSMqhcnjZxdQVpwTXg&r=4eQVr8zB8ZBff-yxTimdOQ&m=WogK4xioUxlrOsNBOGoB6W15z3N-mtPAV2Wh10p4gDU&s=JuU7VctfFIZOo70T7ofeMNbHrZ1U-l3FMAFevLD_DpE&e=

This link says background processes aren't possible (which would make this
pointless for drill, right?), but it seems that has been fixed.