drill-user mailing list archives

From Benjamin Schaff <benjamin.sch...@reactivecore.com>
Subject Re: Embedding Drill as a distributed query engine
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2020 01:57:41 GMT
Thanks you all for your quick answers that's amazing responsiveness.

Let me address things the best I could since it's a bit complex so you
could provide me with some feedback.

The current SQL engine is based on spark SQL and is embedded a little bit
better than a custom datasource so I am fully aware of memory constraints
and everything related to it.

The issue I have with that model is the context switch between spark
internal format and our rpc layer that is really costly for a still unclear
reason. Using calcite directly on a node to query just one partition gave
us really good performance with our rpc endpoint so I wanted to embed drill
in the same JVM (which you can't do with spark because the executors are
forked on the fly) was to avoid that context switching. If nobody think
it's wise, feasible or easy I guess I could try the same integration as
spark but also providing a shared memory API.

I also wanted to leverage embedded mode in the hope that partial
aggregations would be executed close to the data avoiding a lot of
shuffling.

What are your thoughts ?

Thanks in advance.