drill-user mailing list archives

From Charles Givre <cgi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS]: Thoughts
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2020 22:11:36 GMT
Thanks everyone for their thoughts, see responses inline.

> On Jan 30, 2020, at 1:42 PM, Paul Rogers <par0328@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> Great discussion. Charles, thanks for starting it. Thanks Isabel for your insights.
>

> In my mind, question 4 (mission) is the most critical: what users do we want to serve?
What problems should Drill solve for these users? We've touched on this topic in previous
threads, perhaps we need to continue that discussion.

> IMHO* Drill, unfortunately, did not win the "data lake" wars. Cloud vendors won for data
lakes at scale. Snowflake won for corporate data analytics as a service. Presto won for "non-aligned"
data lakes. So, where can Drill add value? This is what folks in Silicon Valley call a "pivot."

I do think Paul's assessment is correct and that Drill should do a pivot as to the mission
of Drill.  From my experience, Drill was never about big data anyway, it was more about being
able to access many different types of data (and platforms) quickly using a common language.
IMHO this is a HUGE industry problem that will only get bigger as more and more types of data
are being generated.  Drill really shines in this regard in that you can literally download
it, unzip it and it works.  No config needed. (Unless you are using Windows ...)

> Again, IMHO, perhaps there is a future in app data integration: the ability to pull,
and combine, data from the myriad S3 file formats and specialized DBs that make up modern
apps. Presto must see this opportunity also: they aregoing all out to dominate this area;
having added many new connectors in the last year.

See above, but this has been my view of Drill from the beginning.  In my line of work (security
& analysis) Drill is an amazing tool that when I show it to security pros they absolutely
love it.  My view here is that we should take the same strategy.  Make Drill able to connect
to as many formats and systems as possible.  This also means API improvements such that it
is easier and easier to build storage and format plugins so that more people can do it.

> Perhaps Ted, with his wide experience talking to users and the open source community,
can offer us suggestions.

> Realistically, defining a mission must be done in conjunction with point 2: community
building. If we reach out the community and pay close attention to where we find interest,
that will help identify an un- (or under-) served niche where we add unique value. (This is,
in fact, basic marketing.)

Concur... We really could use some assistance here.  From the hangout, I really agreed with
Vadim's sentiment about Drill marketing.  When I present Drill, the aspirational statement
that I use is:

Drill is a universal translator for data.  It can query any kind of data*, no matter where
it is*, or how big it is**.

* Well... almost
**. Within reason

> Once we determine our target "market", we'll have a better sense where to drive the project,
documentation, user experience and developer experience to satisfy that market. Thanks to
the many outstanding people who contributed to the project over the years, Drill is actually
pretty good compared to many projects, Having a mission will tell us where we need to improve
further.

Everything I've seen indicates to me that there is a market for this kind of capability.

> So, how do we proceed?
>
> Thanks,
> - Paul
>
> * In my *humble* opinion. I've read that many folks now read the "h" as "honest."
>

>    On Thursday, January 30, 2020, 8:46:01 AM PST, Charles Givre <cgivre@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'd agree with Ted's thoughts.  In general, my thought was that we need to work on getting
more users.  More users likely will lead to more contributors, so the goal being to make their
experience as good as possible such that more and more people will want to use Drill and tell
their friends.

> Also, we do need to work on the developer documentation and in general making it easier
to develop for Drill. Paul and Volodmyr have been doing great work in cleaning up code and
providing good docs for it.  Again, if someone wants want to develop for Drill and finds the
code to be extremely difficult to understand, they'll give up and do something else.

> The project that Isabel mentioned as an example was the original HTTPD project, which
lacks corporate backing and yet is thriving.  Anyway, I do think we should have a continued
discussion about the vision and/or mission of Drill.