drill-user mailing list archives

From Rafael Jaimes III <rafjai...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Initial Oracle Setup
Date Tue, 23 Jun 2020 20:29:47 GMT
How are you running Drill? Using the embedded drillbit on Linux? If
you started that from the shell then it should spit you out to a shell
where you can type in commands, I think it's SQLLine actually. It's
been a while since I used the Drill SQLLIne shell but you should be
able to type something like 'show schemas;' then 'use <schema>;' and
'show tables;' then you can do SELECT from that table.

In your example, if biz is the schema named for the JDBC plugin and
merchants is the name of the table, you're likely doing it correct
already. There's not much difference between ANSI and ORACLE SQL with
a simple query like that.

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 4:24 PM Christopher Kane
<christopher.kane@cardconnect.com.invalid> wrote:

> Alright so I did a bit of googling and I saw SELECT 1 should work across most database
implementations. Select 1 against my data source resulted in a query profile being generated
with a Completed tag next to it, and a result with a heading of EXPR$0 and then under that
a 1. So I guess that would at least validate that I can get something back from Oracle?

I know how to navigate and find what I want but I do not know the structure very well which
could be causing some problems here. If you could share a sample query that should return
anything from what I am now connected to that would be great. The query I was using was very
simple, select * from biz.merchants where merchant_id=85616270. However as you can see 'biz'
is a schema and I'm not sure if I need to set a default schema in some way.
> -Also I think I'm just the type of user where everything I touch breaks in some way,
I guess that's why I enjoy testing.

> Rafael
> -I'm accessing everything from the Drill UI, if I wanted to see a list of tables/schemas
it's found how would I go about doing that? I think that would be a good way to see if what
I have setup is working as expected. With the query I have above, how would it differ in ANSI
SQL?
> -I could probably get the logs, but would need to reach out to a DBA for that and I think
he's already off for the day.

Oracle is returning, perhaps due to a data type that Drill doesn't recognize.  Chris, can
you share the query?   Again, usually databases are super easy to set up with Drill so I'm
surprised this is happening.
> > -- C
> >

> > > On Jun 23, 2020, at 4:08 PM, Rafael Jaimes III <rafjaimes@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > > Ah thanks for the info on that.
> > >
> > > Chris, I can't seem to recall seeing that error before. Sounds like
> > > it is a syntax issue perhaps? Note than ORACLE's SQL is a little
> > > different than ANSI SQL that Drill uses. For this case, you'd be
> > > using ANSI SQL and not the underlying ORACLE syntax. I believe Drill
> > > should do that translation for you if I'm not mistaken.
> > >
> > > If you're using squirrel shell from an embedded instance, I would go
> > > through and list the schemas/tables and start with some really basic
> > > queries just to test connectivity.
> > >
> > > - Rafael

by all of this. I've never tried Drill with Oracle, but I've used Drill with MySQL, Postgres
and MSSQL and usually they're the easiest to work with.

the config from 1.18 and copy it over and see if that fixes my issue.

data source I setup, I receive org.apache.drill.common.exceptions.UserRemoteException: VALIDATION
ERROR: Unknown SQL type -101. Any suggestions there?

to happen but I got a Success! So that's awesome, thank you so much for your help! I am going
to quickly run a test query on this data source now and see what happens.

check out your pre-release, install it like I did 1.17.0 and see what happens!

that available on the downloads section of the site.

and am trying it out as a POC for something I'm trying to do at work. So you're saying in
addition to the driver required by whichever RDBMS you're setting up, there is an Apache Drill
JDBC plugin that works in combination with the driver?

were some significant changes made to the JDBC plugin in 1.18 and I wonder if that might solve
the issue.

the full stacktrace. Now I will say that the one DBA I was conversing with mentioned something
about JRE, and I find interesting in this stack trace that it seems to be a RunTime exception.
10? This is the link I was using to download the JDBC driver: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.oracle.com_database_technologies_jdbc-2Ddrivers-2D12c-2Ddownloads.html&d=DwIFAg&c=rE3mhBYFJfJGqQ7WI0-DPw&r=BYRbCBlPlEiTy68EGn8lfllmVqBXbraSyDLC7XDswJU&m=8cPWOW4PY_sKPTUxECbL9XacM9DQCSnBbAJL9oQht0s&s=zddp1Im2FovgkwAQ3SyRaJzBS1FxeOgiwYdViTSn4H4&e=
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.oracle.com_database_technologies_jdbc-2Ddrivers-2D12c-2Ddownloads.html&d=DwIFAg&c=rE3mhBYFJfJGqQ7WI0-DPw&r=BYRbCBlPlEiTy68EGn8lfllmVqBXbraSyDLC7XDswJU&m=8cPWOW4PY_sKPTUxECbL9XacM9DQCSnBbAJL9oQht0s&s=zddp1Im2FovgkwAQ3SyRaJzBS1FxeOgiwYdViTSn4H4&e=>
 and the only options I see available and relevant are either ojdbc7.jar or ojdbc6.jar. At
this point I've tried both but am willing to change my configuration while troubleshooting.
In addition the recommended driver for Oracle by Apache seems to be ojdbc7.12.1.0.2.jar referenced
from this page here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__drill.apache.org_docs_rdbms-2Dstorage-2Dplugin_&d=DwIFAg&c=rE3mhBYFJfJGqQ7WI0-DPw&r=BYRbCBlPlEiTy68EGn8lfllmVqBXbraSyDLC7XDswJU&m=8cPWOW4PY_sKPTUxECbL9XacM9DQCSnBbAJL9oQht0s&s=rzaAsfW2VGICMfzMAhjoT2vZqBRkti6X56uH4Uv1HU0&e=
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__drill.apache.org_docs_rdbms-2Dstorage-2Dplugin_&d=DwIFAg&c=rE3mhBYFJfJGqQ7WI0-DPw&r=BYRbCBlPlEiTy68EGn8lfllmVqBXbraSyDLC7XDswJU&m=8cPWOW4PY_sKPTUxECbL9XacM9DQCSnBbAJL9oQht0s&s=rzaAsfW2VGICMfzMAhjoT2vZqBRkti6X56uH4Uv1HU0&e=>
 and that is the one I am currently using, ojdbc7.jar from the 12.1.0.2 release of Oracle
Database.

believe they are at version 10 now.

wrote:

> [...]
Storage Plugin for my local Apache Drill instance. I have determined that a correct oracle
connection string with an incorrect password results in the following message: Please retry:
Error while creating / updating storage : java.sql.SQLException: Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory
(ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied ). Now updating the connection string
to use the correct password results in the following message: Please retry: Error while creating
/ updating storage : Rule description 'JDBC_DREL_ConverterJDBC.QA2 Oracle' is not valid.

my own testing that my connection string is correct. When attempting to google anything related
to the message 'JDBC_DREL_Converter' unfortunately I am not able to find anything useful.
At this point I'm kind of grasping at straws as to what my issue is at this point. In addition
I also have the correct oracle thin driver installed, which was the recommend one from the
RDBMS page within the Apache Drill documentation and I've also added this line to my drill-override.conf,
drill.exec.sys.store.provider.local.path = "ojdbc7.jar". But I'm assuming if any of that wasn't
setup correctly, I wouldn't be able to get an error message back from Oracle saying that my
password was incorrect. Any help in regards to this would be greatly appreciated.

FiServ

and any attachments are proprietary and confidential information protected from disclosure
and intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message
to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
copying of this message or any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify CardConnect immediately by replying to this message
and then delete this message and any attachments from your computer.