etch-dev mailing list archives

From scott comer <wer...@mac.com>
Subject Re: naming of artifacts...
Date Fri, 22 May 2009 20:02:44 GMT
ok, i think i see. this seems to be an implicit convention going on with
maven projects. i went
back and poked around some more, and the maven projects were the only
ones (of the few
i looked at) that put -incubating at the end. strangely, not all
incubating projects are marking
their stuff -incubating, more like not hardly any.

ok, so shall we let's be mavenish and put -incubating after the version no?

scott out

rick bolkey wrote:
> uber and dev are most likely classifiers.  they're basically ways to add
> some more granularity to resolving the dependency.  it's good to use when
> the codebase really isn't different, but maybe build settings were
> different.  for example, with testng, you need to specify the "jdk15"
> classifer to get a build that includes annotation support.  i've seen "test"
> used as a classifier if the package includes the test classes.
>
> http://maven.apache.org/pom.html#Dependencies
>
> so, a classifier would be nice if you want to re-release the build once
> we're not incubating anymore, but the code hasn't changed at all.
>
> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 2:24 PM, scott comer <wert1y@mac.com> wrote:
>

>> rick! long time no see...
>>
>> i've seen a few jar files put out there with -uber, -dev, etc. on the end
>> after the version number.
>>
>> can you explain that a little more? what is a classifier?
>>
>> scott out
>>

>> rick bolkey wrote:
>>

>>> Maven wise, "incubating" becomes the classifier of the artifact if it's
>>> after the version number.  Kind of makes sense.

since we