falcon-dev mailing list archives

From Pallavi Rao <pallavi....@inmobi.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Orchestration in Falcon
Date Tue, 07 Apr 2015 05:57:52 GMT
Hi,
I was recently looking at some of the use cases at InMobi and how to
enhance Falcon to accommodate those and I realized that due to our
dependency on Oozie coordinator, some of these cannot be easily achieved or
take a much longer cycle as we have to wait for Oozie to add some
functionality.

I was pointed to this thread that dates slightly before my time in Falcon (
https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@falcon.incubator.apache.org/msg09268.html).
I wanted to reopen the thread for discussion, with my 2 cents:

   1. Some of the scheduling primitives that are already mentioned in the
   thread, especially, support for a-periodic datasets or external triggering
   mechanisms are not available in Oozie. It might not even be a natural fit
   for Oozie to add these.
   2. Adding new primitives in Falcon becomes harder and longer as we
   completely depend on Oozie for the same. Extensibility of Falcon is stunted.
   3. Oozie has very limited support for throttling resource utilization.
   We can only control the no. of parallel instances of a coordinator job.
   4. Oozie currently has no notion of inter dependency of
   instances/workflows, whereas, in Falcon, it will be very useful to
   gate/throttle based on the interdependency. For example, re-run a pipeline
   (or a subset) or throttle resource utilization of a pipeline when in
   "backlog catchup" mode.
   5. We end up with bugs like FALCON-1127
   <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FALCON-1127>, because Falcon
   constantly needs to play catchup with Oozie changes.

On the thread, most people did seem to be in favor of a native scheduler in
Falcon. If you all think this is useful, I'll volunteer to start work on
this and we can build out a scheduler/orchestrator in Falcon that can open
up a whole lot of possibilities for Falcon users.

Thanks,
Pallavi

receipt.