flink-user mailing list archives

From Shannon Carey <sca...@expedia.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Deprecate Hadoop source method from (batch) ExecutionEnvironment
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2016 15:30:09 GMT
Speaking as a user, if you are suggesting that you will retain the functionality but move the
methods to an optional dependency, it makes sense to me. We have used the Hadoop integration
for AvroParquetInputFormat and CqlBulkOutputFormat in Flink (although we won't be using CqlBulkOutputFormat
any longer because it doesn't seem to be reliable).

-Shannon

From: Fabian Hueske <fhueske@gmail.com<mailto:fhueske@gmail.com>>
Date: Friday, October 14, 2016 at 4:29 AM
To: <user@flink.apache.org<mailto:user@flink.apache.org>>, "dev@flink.apache.org<mailto:dev@flink.apache.org>"
<dev@flink.apache.org<mailto:dev@flink.apache.org>>
Subject: [DISCUSS] Deprecate Hadoop source method from (batch) ExecutionEnvironment

Hi everybody,

I would like to propose to deprecate the utility methods to read data with Hadoop InputFormats
from the (batch) ExecutionEnvironment.

The motivation for deprecating these methods is reduce Flink's dependency on Hadoop but rather
have Hadoop as an optional dependency for users that actually need it (HDFS, MapRed-Compat,
...). Eventually, we want to have Flink distribution that does not have a hard Hadoop dependency.

One step for this is to remove the Hadoop dependency from flink-java (Flink's Java DataSet
API) which is currently required due to the above utility methods (see FLINK-4315). We recently
received a PR that addresses FLINK-4315 and removes the Hadoop methods from the ExecutionEnvironment.
After some discussion, it was decided to defer the PR to Flink 2.0 because it breaks the API
(these methods are delared @PublicEvolving).

I propose to accept this PR for Flink 1.2, but instead of removing the methods deprecating
them.
This would help to migrate old code and prevent new usage of these methods.
For a later Flink release (1.3 or 2.0) we could remove these methods and the Hadoop dependency
on flink-java.

What do others think?

Best, Fabian