flink-user mailing list archives

From Juan Gentile <j.gent...@criteo.com>
Subject Re: Externalized checkpoints and metadata
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2018 08:35:45 GMT
Hello all,

Thank you all for your responses, I’ll take a look at your code Hao, and probably implement
something similar.
I’d like to ask though, so as to know what we could expect from Flink in the future, if
this issue will be addressed somehow, considering that we have already 3 different companies
implementing different (but similar) solutions to solve the same problem.
Maybe we could think of adding this issue to here: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-10%3A+Unify+Checkpoints+and+Savepoints
?

Thank you,
Juan G.

From: hao gao <hao.x.gao@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, 25 April 2018 at 20:25
To: Juan Gentile <j.gentile@criteo.com>
Cc: "user@flink.apache.org" <user@flink.apache.org>, Oleksandr Nitavskyi <o.nitavskyi@criteo.com>
Subject: Re: Externalized checkpoints and metadata

Hi Juan,

We modified the flink code a little bit to change the flink checkpoint structure so we can
easily identify which is which
you can read my note or the PR
https://medium.com/hadoop-noob/flink-externalized-checkpoint-eb86e693cfed<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__medium.com_hadoop-2Dnoob_flink-2Dexternalized-2Dcheckpoint-2Deb86e693cfed&d=DwMFaQ&c=nxfEpP1JWHVKAq835DW4mA&r=z5BFHEFwsu2ghSzcXn1_8T3-VzeesIO2aULbUy2urus&m=wx0Ifg9GgdI4lnIayewodxapkGzFntRi49BAsQ9KkTI&s=ZEmQ0XemTJ7FvyxIxmJ0psQbEXaYBE44wNdWPGuW9xY&e=>
https://github.com/BranchMetrics/flink/pull/6/files<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_BranchMetrics_flink_pull_6_files&d=DwMFaQ&c=nxfEpP1JWHVKAq835DW4mA&r=z5BFHEFwsu2ghSzcXn1_8T3-VzeesIO2aULbUy2urus&m=wx0Ifg9GgdI4lnIayewodxapkGzFntRi49BAsQ9KkTI&s=7PuWmJLmePMwtME15_Dp0O9W6FMe_ENwop5A9m42eO0&e=>
Hope it helps

Thanks
Hao

Hello,

We are trying to use externalized checkpoints, using RocksDB on Hadoop hdfs.
We would like to know what is the proper way to resume from a saved checkpoint as we are currently
running many jobs in the same flink cluster.

The problem is that when we want to restart the jobs and pass the metadata file (or directory)
there is 1 file per job but they are not easily identifiable based on the name:
Example
/checkpoints/checkpoint_metadata-69053704a5ca
/checkpoints/checkpoint_metadata-c7c016909607

We are not using savepoints and reading the documentation I see there are 2 ways to resume,
1 passing the metadata file (not possible as we have many jobs) and the other passing the
directory,
But by default it looks for a _metadata file which doesn’t exist.

Thank you,
Juan G.

--
Thanks