freemarker-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Dekany <ddek...@freemail.hu>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release FreeMarker 2.3.24-rc01-incubating
Date Thu, 07 Jan 2016 12:19:48 GMT
Thursday, January 7, 2016, 9:35:08 AM, Sergio Fernández wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I guess the timing picked is not the best for having more people on
> board...

Yeah, but it was simply when the code was ready.

> BTW, the release manager can also vote a release.

When he knows what's he doing... :)

> So far I've successfully checked in the source release:
>
> * signatures and digests
> * incubator suffix and disclaimer
> * build sources in a clean environment (oracle java
> 8u66+8u65arm-1~webupd8~1 on debian 64bits).
>
> Some comments:
>
> * Release is not tagged in git tags, and vote mail does not contain commit id to check.

Indeed, the commit ID was missing.

As of tagging, I used to do that when the commit has actually made it
to become a public release, because tags are public. Is that good that
way?

> * There is a URL to the maven staging area.

You wanted to write that there's *no* URL? (We had no Maven access yet
when it was done.)

> * KEYS file contains only one public gpg, the one from the release
> manager for this release candidate, formally that's fine. Please,
> all other committers should add theirs keys there too for preparing
> for next releases (in case someone else jumps in the release manager role).
>
> * Tarballs contain wrong source layout, the root directory contains
> no version details (apache-freemaker-src and
> apache-freemarker-gae-src respectively).

OK. (The misinformation came from
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html: "For
project, Apache Foo (say) with source and binary types, it is
conventional for the main binary to unpack to apache-foo and the
source to apache-foo-src.".)

> * The section about the "files developed outside the FreeMarker
> project" in the LICENSE file should actually go in the NOTICE,
> specifying details there. I'd say the path should be full from the
> root of the sources: src/main/resources/freemarker/ext/...

I did these.

I wonder, since the owner of FreeMarker is now the ASF, do we still
need to add notices for those DTD-s that are also Apache products
(though from a different project)?

> * Also I'd move the "Historical notes" to the README.

I have instead deleted them, if that's fine. I don't think they are
useful enough (or well visible for lawyer-types) to be in the README.
There's a page about the project history on the web site which covers
this topic.

> * Source tree contains some JARs at
> src/test/resources/freemarker/ext/jsp/webapps/ that shoudl be noticed in NOTICE

Added them, also the OpenOffice files. These are all produced by the
FreeMarker project BTW.

> Because that, I have to vote -1 for releasing FreeMarker
> 2.3.24-rc01-incubating.

Thanks for your remarks, I will soon come up with a new attempt to
vote on!

--
Thanks,
 Daniel Dekany