freemarker-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Dekany <ddek...@freemail.hu>
Subject Re: Auto-Sanitization for FreeMarker
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2016 18:12:28 GMT
Hi,

FreeMarker 2.3.24 (not yet released, though it meant to be ASAP) adds
a simple auto-escaping feature. It's not context sensitive. It's
pretty much just a better version of #escape. I mention it as it might
interferes on some ways with your work. This is the guide for it:
http://freemarker.org/builds/2.3.24-rc01/_html/dgui_misc_autoescaping.html
Note that we have TemplateMarkupOutputModel objects on runtime, which
prevents double-escaping. As you track data flow on runtime, maybe
that's something that you can utilize. If so, I can put 2.3.24 on hold
and see how it could be improved to serve that goal.

As of having different branches of 2.x, I haven't seen how different
your branch is, but as currently FM development resources are very
scarce, it's perhaps not a realistic to maintain an additional branch.
But, there's a plan for starting a FreeMarker 3 branch, whose purpose
is getting rid of the backward compatibility baggage piled up in the
last ~12 years, and fixing some known design issues, be ignoring
backward compatibility. (If it will happen, it will be in a separate
package, so it can be used next to FreeMarker 2.x, which will pretty
much switch to maintenance mode.) FreeMarker 3 is also a good chance
to put in architectural changes upon which more ambitious features can
be built, such as more intelligent white-space handling, or maybe
context sensitive escaping too. So I'm interested in what's needed for
context sensitive escaping to work.

--
Thanks,
 Daniel Dekany