freemarker-dev mailing list archives

From David E Jones <...@dejc.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache FreeMarker 2.3.24 (incubating)
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2016 22:22:36 GMT

> On 22 Mar 2016, at 13:06, Daniel Dekany <ddekany@freemail.hu> wrote:
>
> Tuesday, March 22, 2016, 8:01:51 PM, David E Jones wrote:
>
>> +1 (binding)
>>
>> Others have reviewed the various release artifacts (and my
>> experience with ASF releases is now dated anyway) so I focused my
>> review on testing Freemarker with a few automated test sets I have
>> around. Everything ran well in these tests with hundreds of web
>> pages, including significant XML transformation using a couple of large FTL macro
libraries.

>> I noticed one thing… during a build with the jar file for this
>> release it I’m seeing this warning and a half dozen similar ones like it:
>>
>> freemarker-2.3.24-incubating.jar(freemarker/core/Environment.class):
>> warning: Cannot find annotation method 'value()' in type
>> 'SuppressFBWarnings': class file for
>> edu.umd.cs.findbugs.annotations.SuppressFBWarnings not found
>>
>> I built it with the jar file in a local directory instead of the
>> staging maven repo, so no POM file to grab dependencies, but looking
>> at the freemarker-2.3.24-incubating.pom the dependency for this
>> isn’t included there anyway. Everything built and ran just fine,
>> just warnings on build. I don’t know that anything needs to be done
>> about them, and I imagine adding the findbugs annotations jar file during build would
resolve these.

> The findbugs dependency shouldn't be around, that's so by design.
> However, if that generates warning for the users, that's something I
> don't like. I can't reproduce this though. Is there some extra javac
> option involved?

I don’t that there’s an easy way to reproduce this. I saw this in the moqui-framework
build and there are a couple of complexities involved, namely building through Gradle (which
seems to add all sorts of compiler options, and trying to sort through them I didn’t see
any that would obviously lead to this) and compiling Groovy classes as opposed to plain Java
files.

It may be a corner case and not worth trying to track down and address.

-David