freemarker-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Dekany <ddek...@freemail.hu>
Subject Re: feeding FM3 backlog
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2016 21:19:16 GMT
Tuesday, August 2, 2016, 2:50:00 PM, Sergio Fernández wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just discovered Closure Templates <
> https://developers.google.com/closure/templates/> because one of our
> customer developments, and I can imagine things like that are valuable for
> feeding the backlog for the future major versions of FreeMarker.

Indeed, Closure Templates was already mentioned in the contextual
escaping topic. So I think that's what's primarily interesting for FM
there. That's also a quite difficult topic, and if we can attack the
problem, we won't necessarily follow the same principles. (But see
earlier discussion in this topic.)

> Are we collecting all these things somewhere (wiki or so)?

No, not yet. (I have some notes that I have written for myself, and as
such I don't think it's very understandable for others.) First I want
to see the legacy obstacles and general ugliness to be fixed, which I
call the "minimal FM3", and then it will make more sense to dream
about the others. Of course, I'm open for ideas, I just don't want to
waste other's time and trust by throwing around ideas until we have
that minimal FM3 where their implementation can be actually started.
Without that ideas lose inertia and just nothing happens at the end. I
want to start working on FM3 sometimes in the autumn, but it's yet to
be seen if life will allow that, and how fast it will go.

--
Thanks,
 Daniel Dekany