freemarker-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Dekany <ddek...@freemail.hu>
Subject Re: Request For Comment - freemarker-cli
Date Mon, 06 Mar 2017 15:24:09 GMT
Regarding if it's an useful contribution to the project. Currently,
the Apache FreeMarker (incubating) project is only the engine itself.
So unless we widen the scope of the project, while it certainly helps
with the popularity/usefulness of the FreeMarker project, it's not a
direct contribution to it.

Some may point out that the project already have multiple "products",
all in its own repository (but still under the umbrella of the Apache
FreeMarker project):

- freemarker: The engine itself, freemarker.jar. This is the only thing
  has releases. The others are just dependencies.

- freemarker-docgen: Transforms XDocBook to HTML. The reason it's here
  is that both our homepage and the Manual are generated with this.

- freemarker-site: The content of the homepage

- Recently we started working on bringing over the small project
  behind http://freemarker-online.kenshoo.com/. So it's just yet
  another 3rd party tool, so why bring it in as a "product" of the
  project? The intent is that it will be part of our home page (so
  it's not a product with actual releases). It's a "tool" for trying
  out the engine itself, it has no other intended utility, so it
  fits in. Though the real incentive was that we saw the service being
  endangered (becoming outdated, etc.), and we want a service where
  the users can try the engine quickly. Also we have contributed to it
  substantially... we don't want those work hours to be lost.

So these are all stuff used for publish/documenting the engine itself.

But I'm not saying that it's totally impossible to bring in standalone
tools as additional "products". I'm just not sure if we want get into
that business. Because, what policy we want to follow? Why some
project remains on GitHub, and why some become products of the
FreeMarker project? Is that good for the ecosystem?

(BTW, there's FMPP for example, another command line tool for
FreeMarker. It has always remained an independent GitHub project. It
was actually written by me (when I was still quite junior so I'm not
very proud of it... but it works), so surely I could use my influence,
but I just think it fits in. However, it's linked from the
freemarker.org side menu, for ages... can be seen as an abuse of
power. (-: Heck, I have never though of that... I will remove that
link. But, note that freemarker-online is also linked there, simply
because it's quite useful for many users. So for widely useful and
proven stuff that's a possibility.)

Anyway, anybody has thoughts about this?

--
Thanks,
 Daniel Dekany