freemarker-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Dekany <ddek...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SpringBoot, DataModelParser and Travis CI
Date Thu, 27 Apr 2017 16:08:46 GMT
Thursday, April 27, 2017, 12:58:51 PM, Pradeep Murugesan wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>

>      Yes we are right now using some Autowired annotations from
> Spring. I tried to retain the same so that we can bring the
> application without much changes. The changes I am planning is
>

> 1. remove Fallwizard
>
> 2. use Dropwizard to build jar and boot the application.
>
> 3. Integrate with Spring to retain the autowired.
>

> Let me know if we need to remove Spring completely and use normal
> way to create instances without the Autowired.

I have never worked with Dropwizard, I haven't done any serious
research either, so I don't know what the best approach is. But some
thoughts:

- Does an IoC/DI framework have any real benefit in this small
  application? In Dropwizard, aren't you simply supposed to instantiate
  the singleton beans in the Application class, together the javax.ws.rs
  resources, and pass the dependencies to the beans as constructor
  paramteres, or something like that?

- If we want an IoC/DI framework, I believe using Guice is more common
  with Dropwizard. Or just was? I'm not sure. Anyway, in case there's
  some problem with the Spring IoC integration, there's also Guice
  integration.

--
Thanks,
 Daniel Dekany