freemarker-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Dekany <ddek...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Anyone volunteers for online-tester legal cleanup and other refactorings?
Date Fri, 07 Apr 2017 16:29:03 GMT
Friday, April 7, 2017, 5:59:21 PM, Woonsan Ko wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 10:21 AM, Pradeep Murugesan
> <pradeepmurugesan@outlook.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> After that:
>>
>> - Get rid of the old Fallwizard dependency, as that version isn't
>>   available in well known repos. Certainly we should just use pure
>>   Dropwizard (or any other light weight "micro service" framework you
>>
>>   feel like using).
>>
>> Do you think we can give a short at Spring boot to replace Fallwizard ?
>
> Spring boot sounds like a good idea to me.

Assuming it doesn't have significant memory overhead compared to
Dropwizard, it's fine.

> By the way, regarding the data model parsing, I'm just wondering if we
> can simplify the parsing code (DataModelParser.java) by accepting only
> a JSON string like the following example:
>
> {
>   someString: "Some value",
>   someNumber: 3.14,
>   someBoolean: true
>   someDatetime: "2014-02-28T18:50Z",
>   someList: ["JSON", "syntax", 1, 2, 3 ],
>   someMap: { "JSON syntax": true, "nestedList": [1, 2, 3] }
>   someXML: "<example x='1'>text</example>"
> }
>
> Jackson support ALLOW_UNQUOTED_FIELD_NAMES option and good type
> handling of values...

The question remains if what should we do with date/time values (which
JSON doesn't have), XML values, as there's no JSON syntax for them.

Also JSON is less convenient, as it doesn't support multi-line strings
and XML as we do, and that's especially handy for XML. You don't even
have to quote XML with the current syntax, which makes copy-pasting
snippets much easier. Copy-pasting is a design goal here.

BTW, right now we have the issue that you can't use date/time or XML
inside lists and maps, exactly because those use JSON syntax. So I'm
rather on the side of moving away from JSON. It's too simplistic by
design, and we have no power to extend it. And writing out own parsers
is easy, so, why not...

http://freemarker-online.kenshoo.com/ provides a way to test Freemarker code online.

--
Thanks,