freemarker-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Dekany <ddek...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Anyone volunteers for online-tester legal cleanup and other refactorings?
Date Sun, 02 Apr 2017 08:18:37 GMT
Sunday, April 2, 2017, 9:36:52 AM, Pradeep Murugesan wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>

>      I will take this up.

Great, thanks!

>      A few questions though.
>

> - Change license headers (such as it can't contain "Copyright 2014 Kenshoo.com")
>

> /*
>         * Copyright 2014 Kenshoo.com
>         *
>         * Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
>         * you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
>         * You may obtain a copy of the License at
>         *
>         * http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
>         *
>         * Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
>         * distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
>         * WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
>         * See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
>         * limitations under the License.
>         */
>
> should now be changed into
>

> /*
>         * Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
>         * or more contributor license agreements. See the NOTICE file
>         * distributed with this work for additional information
>         * regarding copyright ownership. The ASF licenses this file
>         * to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the
>         * "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance
>         * with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at
>         *
>         * http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
>         *
>         * Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing,
>         * software distributed under the License is distributed on an
>         * "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY
>         * KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the
>         * specific language governing permissions and limitations
>         * under the License.
>         */

Yes. Note that non-java files need that too (with the appropriate
comment syntax).

> - Change the package from com.kenshoo.freemarker to
>
>   org.apache.freemarker.onlinetester (or something like that)
>

> The package name sounds good to me. Shall we finalize this ?

Let's assume that it's final. If somebody has a better idea and you
are already done, we can still easily rename it.

> - Update LICENSE (and NOTICES if needed) with any extra intellectual
>   property related information needed.

There are instruction for that here (among others):
http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html

Basically, all files that can't have the usual Apache copyright header
has to be mentioned in LICENSE (see in freemarker sources). Also if we
have files that have a different license, and we can't get rid of them
(and we should if we can), those have to be appear in LICENSE as well,
together with the actual license. Also, some licenses require a
third-party notice in derivated works, and that goes into NOTICE.

> What should be added here ? may be I will start with the above 2 and wait for this one.

Well, it will be reviewed by someone who is at home with legals
anyway.

--
Thanks,
 Daniel Dekany