freemarker-dev mailing list archives

From Pradeep Murugesan <pradeepmuruge...@outlook.com>
Subject Re: Travis Configuration for Apache Freemarker
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2017 22:09:04 GMT

Hi,

    1. Yes we can use multiple java version and travis builds the commit against all the version.

         https://travis-ci.org/pradeepmurugesan/incubator-freemarker/builds/221137764

        What are all the versions that we need to check. I am using 6, 7, and 8 for now.

    2. Also it works just with the download-ivy task. So I have removed the other task init-ivy.

Will send a pull request with above changes.

Pradeep.

________________________________
From: Daniel Dekany <ddekany@apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 11:54 AM
To: Pradeep Murugesan
Subject: Re: Travis Configuration for Apache Freemarker

Monday, April 10, 2017, 5:03:15 PM, Pradeep Murugesan wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>

>      As mentioned in another email, I tried out the travis
> configuration for the freemarker project and the results are here.
>

> https://travis-ci.org/pradeepmurugesan/incubator-freemarker/builds/220589309
>
> I was able to configure the build in tavis-ci with the following changes

Is it possible to use multiple rt.jar versions (i.e., link against
multiple Java versions), as it is in a "real" FreeMarker build? See
build.properties.sample. (Even if not, we are better of with this than
with nothing, just asking.)

> https://github.com/pradeepmurugesan/incubator-freemarker/commit/bfa626e37eb18cab29a9ad8574217913ac68bfd6
>
> The changes in the build.xml is to install the ivy and copy the jar
> to the ant lib folder automatically.

I think that will be useful outside CI as well.

I don't fully understand why "init-ivy" is necessary. Because, if
"download-ivy" downloads Ivy into ~/.ant/lib, won't Ant automatically
find it when I run ant next time? In fact, when you run `ant
<something>` next time, "init-ivy" won't even run, right? So can't
before_install be just `ant download-ivy`, and we don't need init-ivy
at all?

I'm also not sure about utilizing env.IVY_HOME. It can be used to find
an existing installation, but Ant won't add it to its classpath.
"init-ivy" can help there, but it's not the dependency of the Ant
tasks that use the Ivy tasks. Anyway, I think we are better of with
downloading a specific version, than automagically depending on some
random Ivy that was once installed on the developer's machine.

But otherwise I think it will be fine.

> I am not sure who actually controls the travis-ci adminstration
> part. We need to enable the build for incubator-freemarker under
> travis-ci/apache. How to place a request for it.

I don't know either... I guess we require Travis account from Infra
and then we control that instance. (Anyone happen to know?)

> Kindly go through the above and let me know if I should give a pull request.

After the clarifications above, I think you should.

--
Thanks,
 Daniel Dekany