freemarker-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Dekany <ddek...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Moving JBoss FreeMarker IDE (Eclipse plugin) to the ASF?
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2018 12:56:03 GMT
Friday, March 9, 2018, 11:56:19 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> Le 09/03/2018 à 10:32, Daniel Dekany a écrit :
>>> So I think "FreeMarker IDE" should be brought over to the ASF,
>>> similarly as FreeMarker-Online was. Also the Eclipse update "site"
>>> should be hosted on ASF infrastructure. I have started a discussion to
>>> explore this possibility, and so far it seems it's fine on their side:
>>>
>>> http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/jbosstools-dev/2018-March/subject.html
>>>
>>> The code is under EPL,
>> Wrong, sorry... It's under LGPL 2.1 (and the copyright holder is
>> RedHat "and individual contributors"), at least on most source files.
>>
>> I have suggested at JBoss Tools that if they sign CCLA and then make a
>> PR to a repo at ASF that we create for this product, that way
>> contributing the whole source code to the ASF, then we can replace the
>> license headers etc. I have indicated that this is just my personal
>> understanding. So, will that work? We did the same with "FreeMarker
>> Online".
>>
> Hi Daniel,
>
> I believe it depends on RedHat "and individual contributors" good wills.
> Maybe easier for RedHat than "individual contributors" depending how RedHat handles that
part.
> Contrary to ASL2, for LGPL 2.1 I don't know, we might need help from legal if RedHat
can't tell.

Yeah, I'm worried about these too. They are much more relaxed about
these matters apparently. Like some of them thought I could simply
fork in an ASF repo, and they need not even know about it. Surely that
possibility is a major feature of these OS licenses... but of course
we can't do that here at the ASF (or, I presume so).

Anybody has anything to add, before we ask ASF Legal?

--
Thanks,
 Daniel Dekany