freemarker-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Dekany <ddek...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Please test/review FreeMarker 2.3.28
Date Sat, 24 Mar 2018 14:41:59 GMT
Saturday, March 24, 2018, 2:44:17 PM, Woonsan Ko wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 3:21 AM, Daniel Dekany <ddekany@apache.org> wrote:
>> Saturday, March 24, 2018, 3:13:06 AM, Woonsan Ko wrote:
>>
>>> When I tested with freemarker-2.3.28-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar, which I
>>> built and install it to my local maven repo from the latest "2.3"
>>> branch myself, in my applications, I haven't found any regressions.
>>> My applications are rather simpler probably than others as they simply
>>> render model objects passed from request attributes through
>>> FreeMarkerServlet.
>>> But when I tried the new features and bug fixes [1], I think I found
>>> somethings (perhaps there could be my misunderstandings):
>>>
>>> 1. The template example in
>>> https://freemarker.apache.org/builds/fm2.3.28/ref_specvar.html#ref_specvar_get_optional_template
>>>
>>>   <#assign optTemp = .get_optional_template('some.ftl')>
>>>   <#if optTemp.exists>
>>>
>>>   But if the 'some.ftl' doesn't exist, optTemp.exists fails as it's
>>> null. So I ended up changing it to this:
>>>
>>>   <#assign optTemp = .get_optional_template('some.ftl')>
>>>   <#if optTemp?? && optTemp.exists>
>>
>> That's bizarre. It works for me. Also for the test suite... that
>> passes there, right? (It can't even be explained by accidentally using
>> 2.3.27, as there .get_optional_template is parsing (syntax) error.)
>
> Perhaps my build might be wrong. I did the following locally to build
> fresh and install it to my local maven repo. (Yesterday, I used my
> forked/forked GitHub branch, which could have caused the issue.)

OK, I see the problem. I haven't pushed the last merge commit in the
2.3 branch... sorry! So only the 2.3-gae branch was up to date on Git.
(The linked binaries were fine though.)

> (move to a temp folder)
> $ git clone
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-freemarker.git
> $ cd incubator-freemarker/
> $ git checkout 2.3
> (edit build.properties)
> $ git log --oneline | head -n 2
> edefaa2f Merge remote-tracking branch 'origin/2.3-gae' into 2.3
> 01294537 Cleaned up more lexer/parser logic ...
> $ ant clean maven-install
> (confirm the log installing the jar and pom files to my maven repo to
> compare with deployed jar later)
>
> When I tested with this today, ${.version} printed: "version:
> 2.3.28-nightly_20180324T130919Z-incubating".
>
> Could this local build cause a problem? (I saw differences between
> "2.3" and "2.3-gae". See below. So I probably should have built
> "2.3-gae" branch?)

But should work, except if I screw up and forgot to push one of them,
like now...

> Anyway, in my testing with "2.3" build, I needed optTemp?? additionally.
>
>>> 2. Square bracket syntax through ftl directive
>>>
>>> It reads, "This directive also determines if the template uses angle
>>> bracket syntax (e.g. <#include 'foo.ftl'>) or square bracket syntax
>>> (e.g. [#include 'foo.ftl']). Simply, the syntax used for this
>>> directive will be the syntax used for the whole template, regardless
>>> of the FreeMarker configuration settings." [2]
>>>
>>> I applied it to an included .ftl template like this:
>>>
>>> [#ftl output_format="HTML"]
>>> [="Hello"]
>>> ${"Hello"}
>>>
>>> It prints: [="Hello"] Hello,
>>> not: Hello ${"Hello"}
>>
>> There are two independent settings here: tag syntax and interpolation
>> syntax. It's mere coincidence that both has "square bracket" in their
>> names. [#ftl] only sets the first. I will clarify that in the
>
> I see. When I tried this now,
>
> [#ftl output_format="HTML"]
> [#assign a=[1,2,3]]
> [#list a as i]${i}[#sep],[/#list]
> [="Hello"]
> ${"Hello"}
>
> I got: 1,2,3 [="Hello"] Hello
> Thanks for clarification!

Note that the square bracket *tag* syntax and that it can be activated
with [#ftl] exists for a very long time.

I will update the related Manual page in a minute...

>> documentation. Or, it's a warning sign that we should rather use
>> {{exp}}, as that doesn't have "square brackets" in it.
>
> Perhaps. ;-)
> I recently had a chance to look around other templating libraries
> using the mustache as I have seen people loving it.
> I didn't like the usages there in directives. For example, {{#if
> user}} {{user.name}} {{/if}}. It's hard for me complete the if, ending
> with {{/if}}, which is too much. ;-)
> But the interpolation part (e.g, {{user.name}}) seems okay to me.
> So, yes, I'm fine with mustache expression for interpolation and it
> might be less confusing in this specific case.
>
> What do others think?

Let's not forget digging up the thread where it was decided. I mean,
there are some pro/cons mentioned there.

>>> 3. split with an empty string
>>>
>>> It says, "Bug fixed: When string?split(separator) is called with "" as
>>> the argument, the string will be split to characters now. Earlier it
>>> has thrown an IllegalArgumentException (unless the r flag was
>>> specified)."
>>> But when I tried it, it throws an IllegalArgumentException:
>>>
>>> <#assign a="hello"?split("l")>
>> ==>>
>>> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The separator string has 0 length
>>> at freemarker.template.utility.StringUtil.split(StringUtil.java:752)
>>
>> Huh? "l" isn't even 0 long! Or you meant to copy-paste `?split("")`
>> there? And yet again, it works for me here. Though this at least can
>> be that you are accidentally using 2.3.27 (try ${.version}).
>
> It was a copy-paste error.
> Still I got the error: "java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The
> separator string has 0 length at
> freemarker.template.utility.StringUtil.split(StringUtil.java:752)"
>
> Now I realize that "2.3" branch is different from "2.3-gae" branch:
> -
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-freemarker/blob/2.3/src/main/java/freemarker/template/utility/StringUtil.java#L752
> -
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-freemarker/blob/2.3-gae/src/main/java/freemarker/template/utility/StringUtil.java#L753
>
> Perhaps, should I have built/test from "2.3-gae"?

In theory you should test both, but the differences are so tiny (GAE
has a little change so that it can run on Google App Engine), it
shouldn't mater. (See also:
https://freemarker.apache.org/sourcecode.html)

--
Thanks,