freemarker-dev mailing list archives

From Jacques Le Roux <jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com>
Subject Re: Moving JBoss FreeMarker IDE (Eclipse plugin) to the ASF?
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2018 16:26:10 GMT

Le 13/03/2018 à 16:47, Daniel Dekany a écrit :
> Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 2:44:14 PM, Woonsan Ko wrote:

>>> In the case of FreeMarker Online *we* have changed the headers after
>>> the PR from Kenshoo (the contributor) was merged. But in the case of
>>> FreeMarker IDE it's much less obvious (to me at least) if they own the
>>> thing fully ("Red Hat Middleware, LLC, and individual contributors"),
>>> so better push that step on them? Is that what you mean?
>> I'm not a lawyer, but whether Red Hat owns fully or partially, if they
>> don't agree, I don't think we can simply move it to ASF.
> They had no objection. But they can't tell if they are willing to do
> the transfer until we tell them what exactly that involves. The less
> work it is for them, the more likely it is that they will be nice and
> do the thing, instead of just saying "well, fork it, the license
> allows that" (which is correct, only then it can't be done at the ASF,
> or so I assume so at least).
Right, can't be committed on an official ASF repo, or rather it can't be released (which is
barely the same eventually)

>>> Nick Boldt was positive about the idea, and he has CC-ed to some
>>> others as well (some are legal guys I presume), and also it was on
>>> jbosstools-dev (a public list), and so far there was no negative
>>> reactions, except that they don't want much work with this. So, if
>>> this is to progress anywhere, I believe first we have to tell them
>>> what exactly they had to do, and then they can make up their minds.
>>> Actually, they are waiting for me to tell if ASF wants this at all,
>>> and how.
>> Do you mean the 'individual contributors' by them?
> I mean the guys working at RedHat / JBoss Tools.
Then it should be easier than I thought, they are still all employees of RedHat? I guess not
but the number of people having left RedHat must be less
than 8 and so it could be easier than expected

>> I'm afraid that ASF cannot give a good direction to them as the
>> 'owner's should decide what to do themselves first. We can just say
>> we're willing to host the project if the 'owner's willing to do
>> donate though.
> It's our turn. I'm really just waiting to hear if the other PPMC
> members think that this should be attempted (like, if we want that
> code at all), then I will ask ASF Legal.
IMO it's worth it if we can get an agreement with RedHat about their employees and if some
have left maybe we will need to contact them ourselves.

Jacques