freemarker-dev mailing list archives

From Angelo zerr <angelo.z...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moving JBoss FreeMarker IDE (Eclipse plugin) to the ASF?
Date Sat, 17 Mar 2018 11:43:35 GMT

> Saturday, March 17, 2018, 2:58:12 AM, Angelo zerr wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > If you wish to install lsp4e freemarker, I suggest you that you read
> > https://github.com/angelozerr/lsp4e-freemarker#installation
> >
> > There is now an update site that I have tested with Eclipse Photon M6 (I
> > suggest you that you use it).
>
> Installation on Photon M6 indicates less problems than on Eclipse
> Oxygen (it has no problem with the jface.text dependency, but it can't
> install the requested version of the "Generic and Extensible Text
> Editor" - see at the bottom [*]), but the plugin still doesn't work
> after installation:

It's not a problem. Please don't install Eclipse BlueSky, only
lsp4e-freemarker. I have added the HTML TextMate grammar in the
lsp4e-grammar to have HTML syntax coloration without BlueSky.
I have created an issue with BlueSky
https://github.com/mickaelistria/eclipse-bluesky/issues/63

> - If I open test.ftl, then Eclipse shows "Initialize Language Server
>   for test.ftl" in the lower right corner, with the progress bar
>   animation, and that goes on forever. Thus there's no LSP4E related
>   functionality in the editor.
>
> - Syntax highlighting is not happening (text color is just black
>   everywhere). "text.html.ftl" is present in
>   Windows/Preferences/TextMate/Grammar. It even works for in the
>   Preview text area there, though if I click away from it to another
>   grammar, and back, then it won't be colored anymore until I restart
>   Eclipse.

It seems that it's a problem with content type. If you install only
lsp4e-freemarker in a new fresh Eclipse Photon M6, it should work ( I have
tested on Windows).

I think it should be better to discuss about this problem in
https://github.com/angelozerr/lsp4e-freemarker/issues to avoid disturbing
Freemarker mailing list, no?

> I have tried both installing lsp4e-freemarker and BlueSky first, but
> it made no difference. (I have also tried installing from the update
> site specified, instead of from the local build.)

If you install   only lsp4e-freemarker in a new fresh Eclipse Photon M6, is
it working?

> Couple of questions:
>
> - What's the future of BlueSky? Development seems to be slow or even
>   stalled, while the plugin seems to be in early stage.

I suggest you that you post your question at
https://github.com/mickaelistria/eclipse-bluesky/issues

> - Any hope to do additional coloring over what TextMate does when
>   AST-related information arrives to LSP4E? (Will be mostly useful in
>   FM3.)

Yes it's possible to do that like JDT does but it means that Freemarker
Language Server returns Freemarker AST even if AST is broken (tolerant
parser).I'm afraid that we can use the FMParser which is too strict.

I have created an issue for that at
https://github.com/angelozerr/freemarker-languageserver/issues/1 with my
plan. If we can work together about thi stopic, it should really cool, but
IMHO, I think we should simplify the Freemarker AST because tolerant parser
is hard to implement and if we can use LSP4j structure directly, it should
be better. My idea is to implement this tolerant parser like VSCode with
HTML Language server.

But if you think it's possible to use FMParser, I'm totally aware. I think
we should continue this discussion at
https://github.com/angelozerr/freemarker-languageserver/issues/1

> *: The "Generic and Extensible Text Editor" installation issue on Photon
> M6:
>
>   Your original request has been modified.
>     "Generic and Extensible Text Editor" is already installed, so an
> update will be performed instead.
>   Cannot complete the install because of a conflicting dependency.
>     Software being installed: Generic and Extensible Text Editor
> 1.1.0.v20180316-0841 (org.eclipse.ui.genericeditor 1.1.0.v20180316-0841)
>     Software currently installed: Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers
> 4.8.0.20180315-1215 (epp.package.jee 4.8.0.20180315-1215)
>     Only one of the following can be installed at once:
>       Generic and Extensible Text Editor 1.1.0.v20171212-0901
> (org.eclipse.ui.genericeditor 1.1.0.v20171212-0901)
>       Generic and Extensible Text Editor 1.1.0.v20180228-1652
> (org.eclipse.ui.genericeditor 1.1.0.v20180228-1652)
>       Generic and Extensible Text Editor 1.1.0.v20180316-0841
> (org.eclipse.ui.genericeditor 1.1.0.v20180316-0841)
>       Generic and Extensible Text Editor 1.1.0.v20171204-0941
> (org.eclipse.ui.genericeditor 1.1.0.v20171204-0941)
>     Cannot satisfy dependency:
>       From: Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers 4.8.0.20180315-1215
> (epp.package.jee 4.8.0.20180315-1215)
>       To: org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu; org.eclipse.platform.feature.group
> [4.8.0.v20180308-0630,4.8.0.v20180308-0630]
>     Cannot satisfy dependency:
>       From: Eclipse Platform 4.8.0.v20180308-0630
> (org.eclipse.platform.feature.group 4.8.0.v20180308-0630)
>       To: org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu; org.eclipse.ui.genericeditor
> [1.1.0.v20180228-1652,1.1.0.v20180228-1652]

It's because M6 provides now GenericEditor.