freemarker-dev mailing list archives

From Taher Alkhateeb <slidingfilame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The problem of "too human" text transformations
Date Wed, 30 May 2018 12:50:53 GMT
I'm not a subject matter expert here, but I always thought sensible
defaults with the ability to override using configuration is a wise
move because you appeal to many people out of the box and then allow
minority to also not feel locked out when they need to override. Also,
as a general rule, I found from the projects we worked on that
internationalization is always a challenge, but you can also resolve
that with the same solution (sensible defaults with configuration
overrides); then you simply let the community adopt and improve the
code for non-English parts.

Of course then the challenge becomes, what's a sensible default? I
wish I had a dollar every time I asked that! I'd favor simplicity
where possible. In your example above maybe "No space f..." is the
simplest, and then people can get fancy if they want to?

My 2 cents, sorry for the noise :)