freemarker-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Dekany <daniel.dek...@gmail.com>
Subject "freemarker-cli" command should be renamed to "freemarker-generator"
Date Tue, 04 Aug 2020 00:24:08 GMT
I brought this up earlier (can't find the mail), and it was not concluded.
The "product" name is freemarker-generator, therefore the command line
command (script) name should be freemarker-generator too, and not
freemarker-cli.  Can we agree on this, and go ahead and rename those
executables? Then I will do the same in the Docgen documentation. If
there's a disagreement... read on.

If users keep typing freemarker-cli, they will start calling the product
"FreeMarker CLI", which is confusing, as we call it "FreeMarker Generator",
like when doing a release, or any communication, other than showing an
example command line call.  Besides, it's just the convention that if a
product has a CLI, like let's say Java has one, the main CLI is just called
the product name ("java" in this case), but certainly not
${productName}-cli. Because usually it's obvious for the user that they
calls a CLI, when it's done. (Anyway, the product name is not just
"freemarker", which is the template engine.)

--
Best regards,
Daniel Dekany