gearpump-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Podling status report - draft v1
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2016 21:10:59 GMT
This is great.

Note the list of three things can evolve over time as the podling makes
progress.

In my opinion, the most important thing an Apache project can do is release
software. While it is true there is a mantra here which goes "community
over code", communities need code around which to form. Therefore I submit
to you that the most important task the Gearpump podling can currently
accomplish is an Apache branded release of the Gearpump code, conforming to
our release and IP policies.

Also, for what it's worth, consider at the Foundation level there are ~280
projects and ~40 podlings, each with their own specific set of technical
issues and goals, of which the Board and Membership cannot possibly
understand all in detail. Try to place yourself in such an oversight role
and think about how you would judge the health of any given project. What
measures would you consider? Community building? Policy conformance?
Releasing? Governance?

Anyway I await the outcome of your discussion oh _the_ list of three things
for tomorrow's report.

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 9:03 AM, Kam Kasravi <kamkasravi@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> To graduate, we need to create a healthy community. To me, a healthy
> community has:
> 1. Enough contributors who actively contribute to this project.
> 2. Enough users who actively using this project in their environment. And
> they are willing to interact with community for issues and features. Their
> requests can be handled in a timely way.
>
> So, to me, pre-conditions to graduation shall include:
> 1. Fully follow Apache project best practices. That is, doc style,
> process, releases etc. And it is better to have 2 or more releases before
> graduation to get everyone familiar with the new process.
> 2. Code quality. It is better if we can meet certain code quality metrics
> before graduation and integrated in Apache infrastructure. E.g. Code
> coverage, auto-checkin test, etc.
> 3. Contributor friendly as Sean mentioned.
> 4. User friendly as Vincent mentioned.
>

> 在 16/4/5 下午3:08,“Vincent Wang”<fvunicorn@gmail.com> 写入:
>
> >Hi Xiang,
> >
> >I think your third point is kind of related to the first one. We should
> >also reduce the challenges for the users who want to try Gearpump, better
> >documentations, easy-to-use API and more external connectors.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Huafeng
> >
> >Best regards
> >Vincent Wang

> >> Here is my thoughts about pre-condition for graduation:
> >>
> >> 1. We should setup the environment to reduce the challenges for new
> >> contributors to make contribution. Currently, it is not very easy for
> new
> >> developer to make contribution, we need a environment like this:
> >>    a. Document clearly on contribution process so that new developer
> know
> >> exactly how to submit an issue, a PR, and ...
> >>    b. Better and more documents to walk new developers through to help
> them
> >> better understand Gearpump without spending too many time on source
> code.
> >>    c. Clearly identity the scenarios that Gearpump works best, and why
> >> Gearpump is good at this.
> >>    d. Have a clear document on the milestone, and the timeline, so that
> the
> >> community can form a consensus on what is coming next.
> >>    e. Gradually form a convention of SLA for issues and questions. The
> >> committers need to take ownership so that all issues and questions are
> >> taken care in a timely manner.
> >>    f. Move project discussions offline to online, and publish them on
> the
> >> mail list.
> >>
> >> The goal is to serve new contributors best so that they feel it is easy
> >> get started, and be comfortable in the community.
> >>
> >> 2. More examination and adoption on various use cases by different
> >> companies. We need more examinations in real production clusters of huge
> >> size, and having complex network environment.
> >>
> >> 3. A busy and noisy user community and developer community.

We

-

--
Best regards,