geode-user mailing list archives

From "paul.perez" <paul.pe...@pymma.com>
Subject Re: Geode wan vs Kafka replication
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2019 22:24:57 GMT

Hi   Aashish

Please feel free to contact me if I can help.

Regards

Paul

> On 21 Feb 2019 at 21:04,  <Alexander Murmann>  wrote:
>

> Hi Aashish,
>

> It's not 100% applicable to your use case, but there was a great talk at SpingOne Platform
by Paul Perez in which he discussed the trade-offs and hows of replacing Kafka and several
other tools with Geode in one of their projects:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60xrULf5zjU

> This might make you aware of some other possibilities Geode might open up for you that
Kafka would not. He also does a good job explaining when you should clearly use Kafka and
not Geode.

> On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 10:43 AM Gregory Chase  <gchase@pivotal.io>  wrote:
>

> > Hi Aashish,
> > I spend a lot of time thinking about this for other systems.    Here's my thought
regarding Geode...

> > You want both, depending on the use case.
> >

> > If you are only dealing with data being replicated and shared between Geode clusters,
use WAN replication.

> > If you want to make messages, data, or events available for ANY other systems, use
Kafka.

> > Where it gets interesting is when your Geode clusters serve different use cases.
   For example, one handles primary transactions, and perhaps the other is used for analysis,
or as DR.    WAN replication is probably still the easiest, but if other kinds of systems
will want the results of application transactions, then feeding messages into Kafka will give
you a very adaptable IT infrastructure.

> > -Greg
> >

> > On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 10:08 AM aashish choudhary  <aashish.choudhary1@gmail.com>
 wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > >

> > > Looking for some inputs over here. We are looking to use geode wan replication
for data transfer across regions(Nam to Apac to Emea). We have run couple of tests(large datasets
too) with Geode wan replication and in principle it seems to work ok. Another option is to
look for distributed messaging platform like Kafka.

> > > Couple of questions
> > >

> > > Would geode be able to scale well compare to Kafka over the long run?
> > >

> > > Performance Geode wan vs kafka. Anything particular that we should look at
before confirming the solution.