geode-user mailing list archives

From Gregory Chase <gch...@pivotal.io>
Subject Re: Geode wan vs Kafka replication
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2019 18:43:20 GMT
Hi Aashish,
I spend a lot of time thinking about this for other systems.  Here's my
thought regarding Geode...

You want both, depending on the use case.

If you are only dealing with data being replicated and shared between Geode
clusters, use WAN replication.

If you want to make messages, data, or events available for ANY other
systems, use Kafka.

Where it gets interesting is when your Geode clusters serve different use
cases.  For example, one handles primary transactions, and perhaps the
other is used for analysis, or as DR.  WAN replication is probably still
the easiest, but if other kinds of systems will want the results of
application transactions, then feeding messages into Kafka will give you a
very adaptable IT infrastructure.

-Greg

--
Greg Chase