giraph-dev mailing list archives

From Paolo Castagna <castagna.li...@googlemail.com>
Subject On helping new contributors pitch in quickly...
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2012 04:45:48 GMT
"""
To help new contributors pitch in quickly, we maintain a set of JIRAs [1] that
focus on getting new contributors started with the mechanics of generating a
patch — downloading the source, changing a couple lines, creating a patch,
verifying its correctness, uploading it to JIRA and working with the community —
rather that deep technical issues within Giraph itself. These are good issues
with which to join the community.
"""

This is nice, good idea indeed.

Put more issues there (even if, at the moment, there does not seems to be much
"simple" stuff that will get people started around). Things such as "port Giraph
to YARN" or a new RPC layer are a bit scary for those just starting (like me). :-)

Perhaps, another option is to increase number of examples. You already have a
few interesting one, do you have one or two ideas on a couple of examples which
could be added to Giraph?

Paolo

 [1] http://bit.ly/newbie_apache_giraph_issues