giraph-dev mailing list archives

From Armando Miraglia <a.mirag...@student.vu.nl>
Subject Re: GIRAPH-684: Remove Writable Requirement?
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2013 22:24:24 GMT
On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 05:25:48PM -0400, Nitay Joffe wrote:
> Basically the question is whether we think that forcing the graph types (I,V,E,M1,M2)
to be Writable/Comparable is the right thing to do.
> This requirement means we cannot easily externalize how a type gets serialized (for example
if you wanted to test out different ways of serializing an integer).
> It also makes it more difficult to implement things like the Jython integration because
every Jython object must be constantly wrapped/unwrapped in a Writable wrapper in order to
conform to Giraph. Personally I have never liked the fact that we have serialization tied
to the object in terms of code design patterns, but that is just me.

+1

While I started with the first algorithm I wrote, I wanted to generalize
the Message pattern I was using, namely to be able to send messages
having the sender id in them. Well, to make it using generics is just
not possible or very tricky. Differently in this manner the serialization
looks to me uncoupled from the object, am I right? Then the idea I had
would be clean to implement.
Anyway, I don't like the pattern either  :)

Cheers,
A.