gora-dev mailing list archives

From Lewis John Mcgibbney <lewis.mcgibb...@gmail.com>
Subject [DRAFT] Apache Gora August Report
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2012 19:09:54 GMT
Hi Everyone,
It's that time of the month/year so please check out the report and
edit/suggest/delete as you see fit. We need to submit for tomorrow so
I'll get it done tomorrow morning at latest.

Best

Lewis

Apache Gora

The Apache Gora open source framework provides an in-memory data model and
persistence for big data. Gora supports persisting to column stores, key
value stores, document stores and RDBMSs, and analyzing the data with
extensive Apache Hadoop MapReduce support.

Project Releases

The Apache Gora team was happy to announce the release of Gora 0.2.1 on
7th August 2012. More regular Gora releases are certainly having a
significant impact downstream within the Apache Nutch community as we
witnessed the release of Nutch 2.0 (which relies heavily on Apache
Gora). The Gora 0.2.1 release artifacts will be put to good use within
the next development drive over in Nutch.

Overall Project Activity since last report

A community decision was made to make an incremental 0.2.X release as
it was deemed that enough ground had been achieved to justify the
release. The release includes >10 bug fixes, about the same in
improvements. Work has been going well with the google summer of code
project and we look forward to reviewing this work and merging it into
Gora trunk once the PMC is satisfied with it. Finally we have a
significant patch for a complete re-work of the Avro implementations
within Gora. This provides an excellent contribution to Gora and will
certainly be included in the next release.

The community spirit has remained positive and can only get better now
that we are releasing on a more incremental basis. Our GSoC student
Renato MarroquĂ­n Mogrovejo and Lewis McGibbney have submitted a joint
proposal to the forthcoming ApacheCon EU based entirely on Gora so we
hope that this will also enable us to build out the community. A
briefly mentioned above, a significant Avro contribution was received
from Ed Kohwley which is very positive.

Changes to PMC & Committers

The Gora OMC were very pleased to invite and have Kazuomi Kashii join
the PMC. This was the result from Kaz's significant work within the
gora-cassandra module and various discussions with other community
members.

PMC and Committer diversity

We currently have committers from a wide variety of projects including,
Nutch, Tika, OODT, Camel, Solr, Accumulo & Hadoop (this is not an exhaustive
list). Within the scope of the 0.3 development drive is an extensive upgrade
of the Avro code, so we will be vigilant in attracting new members. We also
look forward to the progression of GSoC. Hopefully our student progresses
to become part of the Gora team in due course.

Project Branding or Naming issues

NONE

Legal issues

NONE