gora-dev mailing list archives

From Lewis John Mcgibbney <lewis.mcgibb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Regarding Avro
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2012 22:59:49 GMT
Hi Ed,

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 12:44 PM, Ed Kohlwey <ekohlwey@gmail.com> wrote:
> It was moved so that the compiler can be used to generate the example
> classes rather than checking in generated code. Right now this is done
> using the maven exec plugin. My goal is to eventually add a
> magen-gora-plugin similar to the maven-avro-plugin.

Nice. Renato has also written a compiler for the dynamodb module for
creating annotated classes for the (non-avro based) amazon dynamo
store.

Thinking about getting the Avro upgrade into trunk... or producing a
patch which cleanly applies and compiles with trunk I wonder if we can
begin to think about a strategy for phasing this in then. Some things
on my mind
1) GSoC finishes soon (end of week) the changes we've made to Gora do
not really affect the API as such, they just refactor some of the base
classes contained within gora-core to make space for webservices. We
hope to be able to merge this into trunk (when the time comes around)
pretty easily (ahem!!!)
2) As we've previously discussed, the Avro upgrade makes some pretty
hefty changes to the API so getting the phasing right is critical.

What do you guys want to do about the above? My initial thoughts are
to implement the dynamodb module (if and once we have agreed upon it
and when the project actually finishes) before moving on the the Avro
upgrade. As dynamodb store is non-avro based the knock-on effect to
the Avro work you have done Ed will hopefully be minimal... if we do
it tho other way around then the repercussions will probably be more
for us to factor into the dynamodb branch before being in a position
to merge into trunk.

?

Thank you
Lewis