gora-dev mailing list archives

From Lewis John Mcgibbney <lewis.mcgibb...@gmail.com>
Subject Gora Board Report
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2012 15:10:54 GMT
Hi All,

Please see the proposed report as below. I have committed it to the
agenda however changes csn be made so please chip in if there is
anything you wish to add.

Thanks for now
Lewis

The Apache Gora open source framework provides an in-memory data model and
persistence for big data. Gora supports persisting to column stores, key
value stores, document stores and RDBMSs, and analyzing the data with
extensive Apache Hadoop MapReduce support.

Project Releases

The Apache Gora team was happy to announce the release of Gora 0.2.1 on
7th August 2012. No releases have been made since.

Overall Project Activity since last report

The last report quoted that good progress was being made on the GSoC
project, these efforts have now come to fruition with the recent merge
of a goraamazon branch with the trunk code. The entire efforts which
went into GSoC project can now be leveraged and enjoyed by Gora users
and dev's. In all 17 of 77 issues have been addressed since we last
reported.

Our GSoC student (and now PMC member and Committer) Renato Marroquín
Mogrovejo recently presented on Gora @ACEU, continued exposure of this calibre
will most certainly aid in building out the community. We have also
witnessed Gora users from outside the typical community posting presentations
based on Gora use cases, this is also very encouraging.

Changes to PMC & Committers

The Gora PMC were very pleased to invite and have Renato Marroquín
Mogrovejo join as PMC and Committer. This was the result of a long
summers participation in the GSoC project as well as Renato's
interest in getting the Gora brand out there at this years ACEU. We look
forward to more contributions which build on the great work done over the
summer.

PMC and Committer diversity

We currently have committers from a wide variety of Apache projects including,
Nutch, Tika, OODT, Camel, Solr, Accumulo, Whirr & Hadoop (this is not
an exhaustive
list). Within the scope of the 0.3 development drive is an extensive upgrade
of the Avro code, so we will be vigilant in attracting new members.

Project Branding or Naming issues

NONE

Legal issues

NONE