gora-dev mailing list archives

From Alfonso Nishikawa <alfonso.nishik...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Document about GORA-174
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2013 08:34:27 GMT
Hi, Lewis.

It refers to both Gora and Avro.
About Avro, very hidden in documentation [0] talks about default value in
unions.
About Gora and specifically HBase, it doesn't matter what is the value in
"default":"..." (schema) because it is not being used to read/store. For
example: HBaseStore#newInstance() doesn't fill values for not present
"family:column"s in HBase.

I am pretty sure the best option will be implement the "possible solution"
configuration option. But maybe make it not deprecated, sincre sometimes
will be desirable to write raw data on top level columns (not serialized
records) like still happens in /trunk revision (with the restriction about
null shown in [0]), so It could be read directly calling HBase interface.
And maybe should be something configurable when creating the DataStore.
What do you think about this?

Thank you very much for the feedback! :)

Best,

Alfonso Nishikawa

[0] - http://avro.apache.org/docs/current/spec.html#schema_record section
"Records > fields > default"

--
"Drinking bloody marys all night will make you feel like a corpse in the
morning."