gora-dev mailing list archives

From Lewis John Mcgibbney <lewis.mcgibb...@gmail.com>
Subject [PROPOSAL] GORA-174
Date Sat, 16 Feb 2013 03:09:39 GMT
Hi,
OK so in an attempt to try and close this off I am proposing the following.
We follow up on Alfonso's road map... which is as follows

*Proposals*

   1. Create a configuration opt-in option for a DataStore to write
   null-plus-onetype-unions without the index byte and delete the column when
   null. Process properly when reading. This allows other systems to directly
   read data easily.
   2. Create a *deprecated* configuration option that will parse schemas
   ignoring unions and nulls, and will work like Gora 0.2.1. This will enable
   anyone using pre 0.3 versions of Gora to upgrade.
   3. Take on board Renato's suggestions regarding the CassandraStore.
   @Renato, if possible it would be great for you to comment on GORA-174 with
   your precise objectives.

*Concerns*

   1. AccumuloStore option as we do not seem to have a proposal to adapt
   the AccumuloStore logic yet.
   2. AFAIK we DO NOT need to worry about DynamoDB as we do not use Avro at
   all but if you could confirm Renato that would be great.
   3. AvroStore... what is going on here? Do we need to make changes
   locally to the store or are these already supported? My feeling is that
   they are not... unless of course Alfonso's existing patches actually
   address this. Can you please confrim Alfonso?

*Actions*

   1. Address Proposals[1,2,3]: Produce concrete patches and get them
   submitted to GORA-174
   2. Re-base on Concerns[1,2,3] and of course add to them with input from
   you guys.
   3. Test the functionality and comment on the issues opened by Renato
   recently e.g. GORA-206 & 207.
   4. Push the 0.3 RC.

*Notes*

It should be noted that we have seen little or no non-backwards compatible
changes in the Gora API since the project was accepted into the Apache
Incubator. Although we should aim to always maintain backwards
compatibility, we should not shy away from engaging with proposals to move
the code base forward.

The PMC and Committer base as well as users determine in which direction
Gora goes. Without implementing some of the ideas Gora will go no where.

On that note, have a great weekend everyone, I am looking forward to
ironing out GORA-174 as it has dominated the Gora agenda somewhat recently.

Thanks

Lewis

--
*Lewis*