gora-dev mailing list archives

From Renato MarroquĂ­n Mogrovejo <renatoj.marroq...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Updated GORA-174 HBase information - unions
Date Sat, 16 Feb 2013 04:42:15 GMT
Hi Lewis,

My answers are inline mate.

2013/2/15 Lewis John Mcgibbney <lewis.mcgibbney@gmail.com>:
> Hi Renato
>
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 7:10 PM, <dev-digest-help@gora.apache.org> wrote:
>

>> This is a part I am not understanding very well. You guys are saying
>> that legacy data is a problem, but why is this a problem if we haven't
>> been supporting Avro Union in the past? This is a new feature, not an
>> upgrade. And for what I am understanding, the second issue was on
>> marking as deprecated the support for Union data types. But then
>> again, if we are able to support Union data types, this would be the
>> first time.
>> Am I understanding things correctly here? Lewis? Alfonso? anyone else?
>>

> If we have previously defined the JSON Avro schemas not defining unions
> (which is current practice), then new schemas supporting avro unions will
> not be compatible with the legacy data. This is the problem right?

This is exactly my point. In the past, we did not support Avro schemas
with unions, so there is not any "legacy data" because we weren't able
to store it or to retrieve it. Do you understand what I mean? Or am I
talking non-sense here?

> Ok, I see. But what about unions with more than one type? shouldn't we
>> think in solving this once for all?
>> We also have to keep in mind that the same solution might not be
>> applicable to all data stores, but we should be able to provide the
>> same features across all the supported data stores.
>>

> This is very well put. It is clear that the implementations will differ
> considerably. We are moving in the right direction for Cassandra and HBase
> solutions, but currently lack Accumulo. Please see my other most recent
> thread on GORa-174.

This is totally true. We really have to stick to the release roadmap,
and plan the next one. As one discussed, we have to align features and
development across different modules and plan for it. We might need to
ask for help to the others committers to push the project forward as
we all have time restrictions ):

> Thanks troops. Have a great weekend.

Have a great weekend as well.

Renato M.