gora-dev mailing list archives

From Renato MarroquĂ­n Mogrovejo <renatoj.marroq...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Abstracting away Hadoop/MapReduce as Data Processing Layer
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2014 09:45:10 GMT

> Internally, Apache Spark can use Hadoop input format for its
> distributed data structure (a.k.a RDD).
> So, I guess we could still join the cool kids with Spark via our input
> format implementation.

Cool Henry! I didn't know about we could use Hadoop input formats for
Spark's RDD :)

> However, I could think of other improvements that could be useful
> (apology to Lewis if I hijacked his discussion):
> 1. Pluggable serialization mechanism to allow other like Thrift or
> Protocol Buffer instead of just Avro.

Yes, we have been talking about this as well for quite some time. I think
we have two options in here: a) Changing the way we hold objects in memory
to make it not only Avro. b) Keeping the Avro objects for in-memory
processing and serializing using different formats (including
native/datastore format). I think both options should be doable at some
point as well.

> 2. Directly work with DAG frameworks like Spark or Flink (incubating)
> to provide client module to directly use Gora via their abstraction,
> i.e RDD for Spark and Dataset for Flink.

Yes! We have to continue integrating with other projects, specially with
popular projects which could give Gora more visibility in the open source
space.
So what do you think is the "low hanging" fruit here Henry?I mean there is
a lot to do, but we should start putting things into our Roadmap so at
least we know what we have to do.

Renato M.