gora-dev mailing list archives

From lewis john mcgibbney <lewi...@apache.org>
Subject Apache Gora project description
Date Sat, 23 Sep 2017 16:18:19 GMT
Hello Folks,
Some of you may remember, a good while back we discussed the
appropriateness and accuracy of the Gora project description.
Right now, the description is as follows

"The Apache Gora open source framework provides an in-memory data model and
persistence for big data. Gora supports persisting to column stores, key
value stores, document stores and RDBMSs, and analyzing the data with
extensive Apache Hadoop™ MapReduce support."

In my opinion, this is a pretty dated description of what Gora does... in
the most recent 0.8 announcement I shaped the description as follows

"The Apache Gora open source framework provides an in-memory data model and
persistence for big data. Gora supports persisting to

   - column stores,
   - key value stores,
   - document stores,
   - distributed in-memory key/value stores,
   - in-memory data grids,
   - in-memory caches,
   - distributed multi-model stores, and
   - hybrid in-memory architectures

Gora also enables analysis of data with extensive Apache Hadoop™ MapReduce
and Apache Spark™ support. Gora uses the Apache Software License v2.0."

In our release announcements, I also shaped them such that the above bullet
points are mapped to the exact versioned technologies supported.

I am by no means saying that we need to keep the above, but I did want to
make an effort to obtain some consensual evolution of the Gora project
description. Does anyone have suggestions?
Thanks

--
http://home.apache.org/~lewismc/
@hectorMcSpector