gump-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: gump.apache.org (on moof?)
Date Sat, 08 Nov 2003 13:21:54 GMT

On 7 Nov 2003, at 21:11, Sam Ruby wrote:

> FYI, my recollections based on when I had done a few tests on moof
> previously: moof was much faster than Solaris, but on par with a
> modest pentium that I had at the time.  As the number of projects Gump
> grew to support grew, I had to upgrade my machine to keep up.
>
> And despite the promises of write once, run everywhere, there were
> some failures on moof that I did not see on Linux machines.

like what? [just curious, not confrontational]

> In many cases, these needed advocates to get people who are
> responsible for this software to care.

True

> It is worth noting that gump will run a number of tests, so from time
> to time you will find projects have tests that use well known ports
> (like 8080).

ouch. we plan to be running servlets on moof, that's for sure and 8080
is very likely to be already used on that machine (even if we can
install the servlet engine in some other port, since it's going to be
proxypassed anyway)

> The ideal would be a dedicated machine.  Linux preferably, but
> definately not Solaris.

I'm all for a dedicated box. Sam, we have hardware and bandwidth
donated by Sun and Apple, maybe IBM could join and donate a beefy linux
machine for Gump runs?

I'm sure that would be highly appreciated here.

--
Stefano.