gump-general mailing list archives

From "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>
Subject Re: Gump Database
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2004 21:59:35 GMT
Stefano wrote:

> While the question that you should be asking yourself is: what does the
> data look like? how stuctured is it?
>
>  From where I stand, the gump metadata is highly structured and can be
> perfectly mapped in to a relational structure with reasonable effort.
> Also, given its structure, can be indexed precisely and thus queried
> very efficiently.

So the fact that I can visualize this it into a huge rats nest in my head
(especially when wired into objects) doesn't help me make a case for it
being unstructured? ;-) ;-)

Ok, I hear you -- and stepping back, looking at the main (named) entities as
entries in tables, I can see a relational schema with relationships as names
with or without RI. What I can't see (though) is what helps me with the time
aspect --- i.e. when a dependency is dropped, what do I compare against?

I guess the data I'm interested in right now is (somehow) relationships over
time. One projects relationship to it's repository, to it's peers, to
communities (of users). How that looks, I'm not sure, but I'll try to answer
that in my head before I continue.

> At that point, once you have the data in the database, you can start
> thinking about what to do with it. Dependency graph visualization,
> history of dependencies, FoG estimation, all of these are problems that
> will result in particular queries and particular use of the result set.

I like XML as the human (community) editable interface, and converting it to
relational for each run really doesn't appeal to me. Even if I do, comparing
as I load, and detecting changes -- also sounds like work. It also sounds
similar to the XML to Object work that Gumpy is doing, and I was hoping
something could help out here w/o me doing it myself in pedestrian steps.

I need to do more thinking, but thanks for the direct feedback, I appreciate
that. Another persons clarity helps.

BTW: So say we want MySQL [for results and maybe more], how do we set that
up? Do we install, or leverage an existing MySQL install at Apache?

regards,

Adam