gump-general mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [nant-dev] Re: NAnt
Date Mon, 06 Sep 2004 12:06:11 GMT
Hi,

back from vacation so I'm sorry for the delay.  I wonder whether my
apache.org address will make it through to the nant list, if not I'll
repost there using the "other address" I've already use to subscribe
there.

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Gert Driesen <gert.driesen@pandora.be> wrote:
> From: "Adam R. B. Jack" <ajack@apache.org>

>> 1) Run a script to build NAnt (kinda like the bootstrap-ant.sh
>> script)
>> 2) Use the newly built NAnt to build the rest of Nant-dom (i.e. OSS
>> project using NAnt).
>
> There's a makefile in NAnt cvs, but this uses a minimal version of
> NAnt to build a fully functional version.

I guess this could work for starters, we'd probably want a shell
script and/or a batch file wrap the make invocation.

> Do you need a target that first creates a bootstrap version, and
> then uses that bootstrap version to build a fully functional version
> ?

This is more or less how things work for Ant, yes.

>> 2) How to pass an environemnt (c.f. CLASSPATH for Java folks).

This is where things become difficult, I'm afraid.  Adam - like me -
is coming from a Java background and probably - again like me -
doesn't fully grasp the .NET way of live yet.

Let me first explain how Gump works for a Java project building with
Ant.  Let's assume we want to build project A that doesn't have any
external dependencies, builds with Ant and wants to run JUnit unit
tests.

(1) check out Ant from CVS HEAD
(2) check out JUnit from CVS HEAD
(3) check out A from CVS HEAD (or SVN trunk or whatever)

(4) make sure we ignore any version of Ant that may be present on the
    machine.
(5) bootstrap Ant
(6) use the bootstrapped version of Ant to build JUnit.
(7) use the bootstrapped version of Ant plus our fresh build of JUnit
    to build A - make sure that we don't use any other version of
    JUnit that may be installed.

We achieve the "make sure we don't use any other version" part by
controlling the CLASSPATH environment variable (where the Java VM is
going to look for classes).

Now replace Ant with NAnt and JUnit with NUnit.  How would something
like this work?  How could I ever avoid using a version of NUnit
that's inside the global assembly cache?  How could I specify the
location of nunit-core.dll at runtime?

This is what Adam's question really is about - and we Java folks
probably need more .NET than NAnt help to get started.  This will
certainly change later 8-)

Stefan