gump-general mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CLASSPATH logic is failing on me
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2005 07:51:00 GMT
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Adam R. B. Jack <ajack@apache.org> wrote:

> Sadly (since I 'ported' the algorithm from Gump1) I never was 100%
> straight on this stuff. I'd kinda hoped that (after these eons) it
> was well scrutinized by Gumpmeisters, and hence correct. I guess
> fat/bloated CLASSPATHs just are too easy to overlook.

I saw them in a few places (for example many CLASSPATHs seem to
include bootstrap-ant and ant) but never found the time to complain
until it finally started to cause problems, sorry.

> Ok, so please walk me through this...  I see that
> jakarta-cactus-framework-12 optionally inherits checkstyle for
> runtime.

Yes, it means "when you build cactus, include checkstyle and all
projects checkstyle has marked up with runtime="true" in the
CLASSPATH".  It also means "I'm not interested in anything checkstyle
depends on with runtime="false" (the default) unless I explicitly
depend on it myself".

> I see that checkstyle depends upon anakia for runtime.

Yes, it means "when you build checkstyle, include anakia and all
projects anakia has marked up with runtime="true" in the
CLASSPATH".  It also means "I'm not interested in anything anakia
depends on with runtime="false" (the default) unless I explicitly
depend on it myself".

So during the cactus build, Anakia shouldn't be present at all, since
checkstyle doesn't say runtime="true" here.

> As such, I think I'm seeing that the code is pulling those up/in,
> and hence a dependency on jakarta-cactus-framework-12 get's the jars
> that are inherited into it.

They shouldn't be inherited at all.  And even if they were, say
checkstyle had

    <depend project="anakia" inherit="runtime" runtime="true"/>

then the jars contributed by anakia should be on the CLASSPATH when
building cactus, but not when building struts-taglib, because
struts-taglib says

    <depend project="jakarta-cactus-framework-12" />

which means

"when you build struts-taglib, include jakarta-cactus-framework-12 and
nothing else.  I'm not interested in anything
jakarta-cactus-framework-12 depends on no matter what runtime says
unless I explicitly depend on it myself".

Cheers

        Stefan