gump-general mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Kaffe] Has the rmic entry point moved?
Date Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:24:49 GMT
On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Dalibor Topic <robilad@kaffe.org> wrote:

> I guess the design decision to use 'unofficial' entry points is now
> set in stone in ant?

Has always been that way.  This is the only way to run javac in Ant's
VM which is a major speed improvement - well, if your compilation
itself is fast, that is.

> I kind of hoped ant would eventually just invoke the scripts/native
> code/etc. directly without going through the JVM first.

We can do that, but prefer to do things in VM.  Sometimes we even get
more control that way, we can pass streams that write directly to
Ant's logging system instead of capturing stderr, for example.

> But Steves blog means that it is pretty unlikely to happen, as that
> would certainly force a lot of people to double-check their
> builds. :(

Like I said, even Ant 1.1 invoked javac that way.

Stefan