From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Thinking ahead
Date Sat, 12 Apr 2014 14:25:43 GMT
Gang,

 With hadoop-2.4 out, it's time to think ahead.

 In the short-term hadoop-2.4.1 is in order; particularly with https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-5830
(it's a break to @Private API, unfortunately something Hive is using - sigh!). There are some
other fixes which testing has uncovered; so it will be nice to pull them them in. I'm thinking
of an RC by end of the coming week - committers, please be *very* conservative when getting
stuff into 2.4.1 (i.e. merging to branch-2.4).

 Next up, hadoop-2.5.

 I've updated https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Roadmap with some candidates for consideration
- please chime in and say 'aye'/'nay' or add new content. IAC, I suspect that list is too
large.

 Rather than wait for everything it would be better to plan on releasing it on a time-bound
manner; particularly around the Hadoop Summit. If that makes sense; I think we should target
branching for 2.5 by mid-May to get it stable and released by early June.

 Thoughts?

thanks,
Arun

--