From Allen Wittenauer ...@effectivemachines.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release cadence and EOL
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2017 16:17:53 GMT

> On Jan 21, 2017, at 7:08 PM, Karthik Kambatla <kasha@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
>   3. RM: some method to madness. Junping, for instance, is trying to roll
>   a release with 2300 patches. It is a huge time investment. (Thanks again,
>   Junping.) Smaller releases are easier to manage. A target release cadence,
>   coupled with a process that encourages volunteering, IMO would lead to more
>   committers doing releases.

	In the case of 2.8.0, that's on the original RM and "back port fever" that inflicts way too
many committers.  2.8.0 has been sitting in a separate branch for over a year.  Of *course*
it is going to be a disaster.  If the original RM had said "I don't have time, someone take
over" after 3 months of it being left idle or another committer feeling as though they could
take it or not everyone dumping everything they can in every release possible, it wouldn't
be nearly as bad.

	Not only do we need to encourage volunteering, but we also need to encourage people to relinquish
control. If the PMC wants to enact a cadence, then they also must be willing to step in when
an RM is unresponsive and request someone else take over.  A message every three months saying
"Yes, I'm still working on it." doesn't really help anyone, including the RM.

> To conclude, the biggest value I see is us (the community) agreeing on good
> practices for our releases and work towards that. Writing it down somewhere
> makes it a little more formal like the compatibility stuff, even if it is
> not enforceable.

	So it's exactly like the compatibility stuff. ;)