From Allen Wittenauer ...@effectivemachines.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Branches and versions for Hadoop 3
Date Fri, 25 Aug 2017 19:16:32 GMT

> On Aug 25, 2017, at 10:36 AM, Andrew Wang <andrew.wang@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Until we need to make incompatible changes, there's no need for
> a Hadoop 4.0 version.

Some questions:

	Doesn't this place an undue burden on the contributor with the first incompatible patch to
prove worthiness?  What happens if it is decided that it's not good enough?

	How many will it take before the dam will break?  Or is there a timeline going to be given
before trunk gets set to 4.x?

	Given the number of committers that openly ignore discussions like this, who is going to
verify that incompatible changes don't get in?

	Longer term:  what is the PMC doing to make sure we start doing major releases in a timely
fashion again?  In other words, is this really an issue if we shoot for another major in (throws
dart) 2 years?