hadoop-mapreduce-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vino...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Branch merges and 3.0.0-beta1 scope
Date Wed, 23 Aug 2017 18:12:11 GMT
Agreed. I was very clearly not advocating for rushing in features. If you have followed my
past emails, I have only strongly advocated features be worked in branches and get merged
when they are in a reasonable state.

Each branch contributor group should look at their readiness and merge stuff in assuming that
the branch reached a satisfactory state. That’s it.

From release management perspective, blocking features just because we are a month close to
the deadline is not reasonable. Let the branch contributors rationalize, make this decision
and the rest of us can support them in making the decision.


> At this point, there have been three planned alphas from September 2016 until July 2017
to "get in features".  While a couple of upcoming features are "a few weeks" away, I think
all of us are aware how predictable software development schedules can be.  I think we can
also all agree that rushing just to meet a release deadline isn't the best practice when it
comes to software development either.
> Andrew has been very clear about his goals at each step and I think Wangda's willingness
to not rush in resource types was an appropriate response.  I'm sympathetic to the goals of
getting in a feature for 3.0, but it might be a good idea for each project that is a "few
weeks away" to seriously look at the readiness compared to the features which have been testing
for 6+ months already.
> -Ray

  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message