From Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop 3.2 Release Plan proposal
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2018 02:20:57 GMT

On 16 Jul 2018, at 23:45, Sunil G <sunilg@apache.org<mailto:sunilg@apache.org>>
wrote:

I would also would like to take this opportunity to come up with a detailed
plan.

- Feature freeze date : all features should be merged by August 10, 2018.

That's three weeks from now.

While I appreciate a faster cadence, saying "you now have three weeks to get everything in"
is a bit sudden.

That's pretty aggressive given that many patches can languish unreviewed for months at a time.

Also: it's the summer holidays.

- Code freeze date : blockers/critical only, no improvements and non
blocker/critical bug-fixes August 24, 2018.

If the feature freeze is 3 weeks from now, I reserve the right to add new bits of code to
the hadoop-aws and hadoop-azure modules as I see fit, up until this cutoff.

- Release date: August 31, 2018

At least one RC will have to be built, put out and voted on. I think it'd be good to have
that RC generation process nailed down before Aug 24, but you have to include the vote *and
the possibility of it failing* into the schedule.

Please let me know if I missed any features targeted to 3.2 per this

Well there these big todo lists for S3 & S3Guard.

There's a bigger bit of work coming on for Azure Datalake Gen 2

I don't think this is quite ready yet, I've been doing work on it, but if we have a 3 week
deadline, I'm going to expect some timely reviews on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-15546

I've uprated that to a blocker feature; will review the S3 & S3Guard JIRAs to see which
of those are blocking. Then there are some pressing "guave, java 9 prep"

timeline. I would like to volunteer myself as release manager of 3.2.0
release.

well volunteered!

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

I think this raises a good q: what timetable should we have for the 3.2. & 3.3 releases;
if we do want a faster cadence, then having the outline time from the 3.2 to the 3.3 release
means that there's less concern about things not making the 3.2 dealine

-Steve