hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer ...@altiscale.com>
Subject Re: should clients be able to override *-site.xml?
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2014 17:55:17 GMT

On Sep 10, 2014, at 10:14 AM, Sangjin Lee <sjlee@apache.org> wrote:

>  if HADOOP_USER_CLASSPATH_FIRST is
> set and the user provides his/her version of *-site.xml through
> HADOOP_CLASSPATH, the user would end up trumping the hadoop configuration.
> And I believe this behavior is preserved after Allen's changes
> (HADOOP-9902).

	I'd be surprised if 9902 changed this behavior, especially given that HADOOP_CONF_DIR is
added fairly quickly to the CLASSPATH and HADOOP_USER_CLASSPATH is processed last or near
last.

> Is this an intended behavior? What I'm not sure of is whether we expect the
> client to be able to override the site.xml files the hadoop configuration
> provides. If that is true, then it is working as desired. If not, we'd need
> to fix this behavior.
>
> Thoughts?

	Users have always been able to override the *-site.xml files via java properties, jobconf/etc,
 pointing HADOOP_CONF_DIR to somewhere else, or providing --conf flags to shell commands.
 In other words, this isn't new behavior, but provides yet another option to override the
provided settings.