hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>
Subject should clients be able to override *-site.xml?
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2014 17:14:58 GMT
tl;dr

This was borne out of an investigation of a hadoop issue at our company. It
appears that prior to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-9450 the
hadoop configuration directory (HADOOP_CONF_DIR) was always the first entry
in the classpath, regardless of HADOOP_USER_CLASSPATH_FIRST or
HADOOP_CLASSPATH. But after HADOOP-9450, if HADOOP_USER_CLASSPATH_FIRST is
set and the user provides his/her version of *-site.xml through
HADOOP_CLASSPATH, the user would end up trumping the hadoop configuration.
And I believe this behavior is preserved after Allen's changes
(HADOOP-9902).

Is this an intended behavior? What I'm not sure of is whether we expect the
client to be able to override the site.xml files the hadoop configuration
provides. If that is true, then it is working as desired. If not, we'd need
to fix this behavior.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Sangjin