hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Dharmesh Kakadia <dhkaka...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Calling a merge vote for YARN-1051
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2014 06:40:14 GMT
+1

We have been working on resource estimation for YARN jobs. We have
estimation in place for Mapreduce, Hive and Oozie workflows through
PerfOrator (more details below), in the past we have done estimation for
research frameworks like dryadLINQ as well (
http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/default.aspx?id=178971). We have
been using reservation system introduced in YARN-1051 to enforce SLAs. Some
of these jobs are complex and have 10 or more stages. We have been able to
express their reservation requests in the language provided and YARN-1051
has been doing a good job of enforcing them. We have been using YARN-1051
for few months now and found it quite stable.

PerfOrator:
PerfOrator employs performance models (tailored to big data jobs) to
estimate the resource requirements of a job. It takes resources available
as input and predicts a "skyline" for a job that consists of a sequence of
(#container, time) pairs. A prediction {(x1, t1),(x2,t2)} means that x1
containers are needed for t1 time, followed by x2 containers are needed for
t2 time... . The reservation language provided by YARN-1051 is a perfect
match for pipeline jobs.

We have prior experience in building these for other distributed runtime's
as well. But none of them have features to reserve resources and enforce
such reservations. We are very happy to see this in YARN.

Kudos to you guys.

Thanks
Kaushik and Dharmesh